Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My name is Katie, and I am addicted to technology.

I remember distinctly when my Dad first asked me about getting an e-mail account in 1997. We were at the kitchen table, that my sister now has at her house, talking about AOL. "Katie, why don't you set up an e-mail account like I have." he said. "Why would I want to do that?" I asked. He then proceeded to tell me all of the reasons why I should have e-mail ending with "and people can contact you anytime of day." The 16 year old in me, did my sassy thing, and said, "Contact me, really? I mean if someone is that desperate to get in touch with me, they can pick up the phone and call me." Fast forward to 2011, and I find myself living in a foreign country addicted to technology. Now, if we are being honest here, and we needed to rank my addiction from 1-10 (1 being little need to 10 being full-fledged junkie) I would say that I'm probably at about a 6.5. But for me, a person who really only checked facebook and my email prior to moving to Brazil, there are some nights where I feel like I need to be checked into Betty Ford.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't carry my cell phone everywhere and check my email on vacation like some people do. But, man when I am home from work. I feel like I am attached to my computer. My computer has quickly become the most important thing I own. Not because I love to spend hours on it, but more for the connection it provides me with home. It is how I keep up with people, talk with my parents, and entertain myself. I constantly worry that something will happen to my computer and I will be cut off from the world that I once knew. So, much so, that I've already decided at Christmas I'm going to pick up an IPad, just in case.

Please don't misunderstand me. I do go out, and actually I would say that the quality of my life is better here than it was back home. I am never concerned about money, have more to do on the weekends, and get to travel to awesome places! It's actually a nice change.

However, on weekdays after work and on Sunday, I have more time to kill. And, I end up doing everything on the computer:

Talk to friends and family = skype/vonage
Watch movies/television = Use the VPN to watch American TV or use netflix. I don't have cable here in Brazil.
Listen to music = Itunes
See what people are doing= facebook
School work = e-mail
Let you know what I am doing = blog
Keep up with the news here and abroad = CNN.com
And let's not forget that I check google.com probably more than any normal human should.

By the end of the day, it's more than I like but it, like all things here, is what it is. If I don't use my computer, Ill stare at the walls. So, what's a girl to do? I'm not real sure, soooo I guess I'll go check facebook. :)

1 comment:

  1. haha i totally get it sister!!!!! i love this... and yes, i think the ipad is a great investment.... love you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.