Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Brazilian Bad Habits...

Every culture has things that are specific to their community which others from other communities might consider awkward, interesting or just down and out rude. Is either culture wrong...no. They are just the differences that make the world diverse.

While I was home this summer, I realized that I have developed some habits while in Brazil, that my fellow North Americans would view as rude. I received some rude looks, appeared as though as I was pompous, and basically had to be very aware of my gestures. It was backwards culture shock actually. What was this bad habit you may ask... I POINT MY FINGER!

In Brazil, or maybe just Brasilia, people point to add emphasis when saying no. Now, to be clear, it is a small gesture, where they wave their index finger back and forth.

It is not like this:

It is more like this except close to your body and lower down:

Here I use this a lot: to the street vendors who try to sell you jewelry while you're eating dinner, to my students when they ask me something and the answer will be no. I have no idea where I picked it up, but when someone wants to say no with some seriousness, it is definitely something, "some" people do.

Is it the worst habit to have, nah, it's not. But did some people back home look at me like I was a snot...yeah.

To be fair to myself, I have also developed more good habits here than bad. I eat more veggies, walk more, drink more water, go out more with friends, and live a more simple life. I don't want for as much while I am here. Cause if I can't get it, I just really don't need it.

All and all, the habits I've developed here, I am sure will eventually go away. Until then, I am going to keep living as part of this culture cause it has so many great things about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.