As a teacher, I am constantly trying to be entertaining and engaging. I often say that I am not in the education business but the edu-tainment business. Why do I say this, because nothing is more depressing than trying to make something sound interesting while 25 thirteen year olds are yawning.
So, in the spirit of edu-tainment, I am always trying to use modern comparisons, story telling, being overly animated, you name it, I do it. I am more than okay looking like an idiot, if it makes the lesson stick. If I can keep their attention for 30 minutes, I have succeeded. Which is probably how this situation developed.
So, a couple of weeks ago, my 8th graders and I were discussing explorers, more specifically, Francisco Pizarro and his conquering of the Inca empire. We were discussing how he came in, kidnapped their leader, killed him, and then basically said, I am your ruler now.
And that is when the edu-tainment kicked in...
I looked at them and said, can you believe someone would be brave enough to do that? And in order to make a connection, I spontaneously said:
"It would be like me arriving in Brazil, heading over to Dilma's(the president) house, killing her and then hopping on Globo(like ABC or NBC), and saying fear not Brazil, the gringa is here."
The class immediately BURST into immense laughter. They thought it was hilarious, after I calmed them down, we talked a little more about it and then moved on... or so I thought.
It wasn't until the next day when I arrived for advisory class that I realized how funny they thought it really was.
As I was coming down the stairs, heading to my room, there was a big group of kids waiting for me, and as I said, sorry I am late, I heard about 15 people announce...
"Fear not, the gringa is here!"
It is has developed into a mantra for my room when I arrive, usually someone says it.
I kind of find it endearing. I mean it is sweet that they keep it up. But, on the other hand, I am kind of concerned how long this is going to go on. haha!
But, at the end of the day, I love that they learned something, that they care enough to tease me about it, and that they don't think I am just crazy!
DISCLAIMER: I simply used this as a class example. I will not be planning any attacks on anyone in Brazil, let alone Dilma. Brazilian jail is not for me!
Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading your blog. I am interested in taking a teaching position in Brazil for next school year. I have been teaching in an American public school for 18 years and I am looking to make a change. I have a close friend that lives in Sao Paulo and he suggested teaching in Brazil. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Judie