Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Going in with grace...

I have never been one to enjoy my birthday. I am not sure why. I like to think it is the attention, but truth be told, I think it is the fact that I haven't achieved what I would have hoped by now. I am not married, no kids, etc. Yes, I live abroad, yes, I have people who love me but it is me comparing myself to what society says I should do, and it makes me feel like a failure. So, for the past few years, I have just not celebrated, and to be honest, instead I've had a pity party.

Obviously, these strategies haven't been working. They just make me miserable and start the year off on a bad note. So, this year I decided to embrace my birthday and year 34. I decided that I would enter the next year of my life with grace, instead of loathing and avoiding. It seems to fall under the "if ain't broke, don't fix it," mantra. Except, what I was doing was broke, so I needed to fix it.

So, as my birthday approached, Sue started to ask, "Are we going to celebrate this year?" When I said, "yes," I think she was a little surprised and in disbelief. I've decided to enter year 34 with grace and rather than avoid the inevitable, I'm going to embrace it. I'm not sure why. But, I think it has to do with the fact that this year will be one in which I will have a lot of changes(more on that later). I think the fact that this year holds a lot of promise, makes me want to start it off right.

So, this morning I got out of bed and embraced the big day. I got dressed and was greeted at school by friends and students who gave me hugs(and a carrot cake muffin with cream cheese icing :) ). Throughout the day, I was shown how much I am loved and appreciated. It made me feel good.
People left notes on my board throughout the day.

My last class had a little 5 minute birthday celebration for me. It was so sweet. They all signed a card and brought me Brazilian and Polish chocolates. Sue brought me these beautiful flowers.

Even Google realized it was my birthday and changed my google screen.

That evening, Sue arranged a dinner party at a great little Italian place, Cantina da Massa, and invited my nearest and dearest. Sue, Barry, Kevin, Heather, Amanda, Jackie, and Rodrigo all came out to celebrate my birthday. It was actually nice. It was even cold today and I got to wear boots, jeans, and a sweater...it was like I was home. I loved spending my day with people who mean a lot to me. My family is not here, so the next best thing would be my Brazilian family.

The whole gang.

Me and Rodrigo.

Me and Sue...what would I do with out her. :)

As for my birthday gift, this year I bought my own gift and I know it will be something I remember forever. I am taking a trip to this place...
Machu Picchu!!!

Here is to 34, hopefully the best year yet!

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KATIE! What a wonderful way to start your 34th year! Mary Marlowe's Aunt Cherry P.S. First time commenting, but always like to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the well wishes. I am glad you enjoy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.