As I arrived, I thought, hmmm, everyone looks a little bit like Daisy Mae. They had on plaid shirts, jeans, dresses, boots, and of course, the women had their hair in pigtails. I wore jeans and a cardigan. So, when a kid came up and said, "Hey, where is your Festa Junina outfit?" I looked perplexed and asked why he thought I would be dressed up in that style of clothing. His response, "Aren't you from Tennessee." Stereotyping at its finest, y'all.
That night, I decided to head to the Festa Junina event and dress as "country" as I could, which included a denim skirt, white oxford, riding boots, and of course pigtail braids.
It was such a cool event, and I learned what FJ is all about. Essentially, it is like a harvest party. They have stories the recreate, dances, games, and of course food and music. In general, it is everyones idea of a good time. The Brazilian Studies department did a beautiful job and it was a great EAB event.
Festa junina! Good old times from elementary school that we're all used to dress up to go dancing quadrilha and eat a lot of good stuff!!! And you looked great as a caipira, Katie!
ReplyDelete