Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Farewells

Normally, I love the end of the school year. It goes so quickly. With my eminent departure, this year definitely feels different. What is typically a time of year where I am saying good-bye to friends but looking forward to new friends I will soon be making has been replaced with the feeling of I am leaving and life here in Brasilia will be moving on without me.

Luckily, I am blessed with good friends who have helped me realize that although I am leaving our friendship will continue, just from far away. It means so much when people take the time to make you feel special.

GIRLS FAREWELL WEEKEND:
Sue and Heather, who have always been two of my dearest friends here decided we needed one last girls weekend before I left. We headed out to an area outside of the DF known for its hiking and waterfalls called Chapada(sp?). We stayed at an adorable pousada, went and saw beautiful water carved rocks, and just spent time talking. It was such a great trip and made me appreciate why we are friends. They don't know how much I will miss them next year but I know it's not the end of our friendship.




GOING AWAY LUNCH:
Amanda and Sue had a going away get together as well. Brazilians always have these big long lunches on the weekend where they spend a couple of hours just spending quality time together. It's really lovely. Amanda thought it would be fun to have a traditional Sunday lunch. We headed to one of my favorite restaurants, Coco Bambu, which has family style meals. It was delish and a the perfect way for me to say thank you to people who have had a major impact on my life here in Brasilia.






UPPER SCHOOL FACULTY GOOD-BYE SOCIAL:
We also had a farewell social at a local "tavern." We headed their after school and the committee(aka Karen) had arranged for us to have some socializing time and then everyone gave little speeches about the person leaving. Amanda made a very sweet speech for me and I really could not hold it together. She and I have become not just teaching partners this year but dear friends. She is a whole blog in and of itself and I am going to miss that girl like crazy!



Kevin and his former wife.

Kevin and his new wife.

Even though good-byes are hard and to be honest, they aren't always forever, I feel so lucky to have them. To have good-byes means that you have experienced something that you are closing the door on and moving onto a new opportunity. I know I say it all the time, but I feel so fortunate to have had this opportunity, however this opportunity wouldn't have been the same without these people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.