This is my common response when people ask me, do you speak Portuguese? Of course, I usually have to tell people that Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish. The phrase means, "I speak a little Portuguese." I learned this very common phrase courtesy of my friend Leigh Anne's Pimsleur CD's. But, this past weekend, I started an actual class.
Let's rewind a bit. When I told my school's gifted consultant that I was moving to Brazil, he informed me that SAVY (Vandy's Saturday program for gifted kids) was offering a Portuguese class. I contacted SAVY and asked if they needed a teacher's assistant, in the hopes I could pick up a few words. The director said, if you are willing to do car-rider duty, you can sit in the class. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity. The only catch is that the class is for 11 year olds. Yep, I look like a total creeper or complete imbecile. I haven't decided which, but Im going with imbecile. Actually, I kind of look like Robin Williams, in the movie Jack.
The class was actually really great. We (me and my 11 year old classmates that is) learned the alphabet, numbers, common phrases, and has short conversations. The only embarrassing part was when the teacher asked us our age:
Professora: Quantos anos voce tem Bobby?
Bobby: Tenho onze anos. (I'm 11 years old)
Professora: Quantos anos voce tem Sue?
Sue: Tenho dez anos. (I'm 10 years old.)
Professora: Quantos anos voce tem Katie?
Me: Tenho trinta e um anos.
I could see the kids having to do the math. Im sure they were like why the heck is a 31 year old in here with us. What a loser!
I learned a couple of other little phrases that will be really helpful. I think by the time the fifth week is over I will have learned a lot. Im sure the 11 year olds will too.
Obrigada amigos, Ate logo!
Katie
you crack me up!!!
ReplyDelete