Saturday, February 12, 2011

Why Brazil?

Whenever people hear that I am moving to Brazil, this is the question I am commonly asked. I think in general people think I am doing something fun and crazy. But, there are some people who look at me like I am out of my ever-lovin mind. So, for those of you out there who are wondering, "Why Brazil" I thought I would explain.

When I decided on teaching abroad I thought about the important question...where. I knew there were only 3 continents I would consider, South America, Europe, and Asia. I knew that South America was probably the easiest continent to break into as a new teacher and all. So then the question was where. Let's get real, I know who I am. I know that I am friendly, loud, and vivacious. Not all of these being the BEST qualities, but alas, I am what I am. So, I narrowed it down to 3 countries in which my personality would, "fit in." I narrowed it down to Argentina, Brazil, and Peru.

Brazil was appealing to me for several reasons.
1. Lots of things to do. Brazil is about the size of the USA which means there a lot of places to visit and things to do. I knew I would want to go see the Carnival and famous beaches.

2. The people are friendly, outgoing, and passionate. I knew that my personality would fit in well there.

3. There is a sense of mystery to it. Brazil is a country that not everyone gets the opportunity to visit. I've been to England and France but geographically, I've never travelled past the Bahamas.




Don't get me wrong there are things about Brazil that will be tough. Brazillians are notorious for having the "best of intentions." You know, the type, the person who says, "I'll call you tomorrow" and they call you back 3 weeks later. Things also run slower in Brazil, maybe that goes back to the intentions thing. Oh yeah, and how about milk is sold in bags AT ROOM TEMPERATURE!!!!!! And, Im sure that is just the TIP of the iceberg. But ultimately for me, Brazil just feels right. It feels like the right move and I have not regretted my decision one bit.


Oh and for those of you who want to see where Im going to be spending most of my time, I have found it.

Welcome to EAB, Escola Americana de Brasilia (aka The American School of Brasilia)!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.