Saturday, September 24, 2011

Just a simple Saturday in Brazil.

Long time, no blog...right? I'm sorry for my somewhat long absence blog followers. According to what people tell me and what Ive read online people who live abroad have a tendency to hit a wall about 2 months into the relocation and about 2 weeks ago, I ran straight into mine. I wasn't homesick but definitely was frustrated, tired, and couldn't get over it. However, Im back to my usual self and felt a blog update was necessary.

This weekend, most of my newbie friends headed out of town. I couldn't go because of the Sopherina, but I decided to make the most of it while I was here. I woke up early and headed to school(yes, on a Saturday) to help at the school book fair.

I wasn't quite sure what all the fuss was about seeing as I teach Social Studies, so I was kind of out of the loop. I've been to plenty of bookfairs y'all, but this wasn't any ole book fair. The theme was Dr. Suess(yes, it had a theme) and you entered via a Purple carpet with quotes from his books. I mean it was really over the top(in a good way!).
You could get new books or used books, it is whatever you wanted. I was quite impressed. Then I moseyed on into the schools auditorium and had to do a double take. The stage was set for performances from the lower school. The kids were adorable. It was like a talent show and book fair in one. My favorite though had to be the K4 class. These 4 year olds came out dressed like the Cat in the Hat, and sang, "It's a small world after all." It was about as cute as you can get.
Yes friends, those are trees made out of balloons!

The adorable little ones.

After all the cuteness, I headed out to Park Shopping, aka the mall. I had planned to run in and look for a pair of shoes but instead, I found the shoes, ate lunch, and tried to get a cell phone plan.

Im pretty sure I've mentioned that the ladies I work with here in Brasilia are some of the best dressed people I know. For someone who considered herself a decent dresser back home, this has forced encouraged me to step up my game. Most of the women at my school wear heels all day. So, today I stepped it up a little and bought a pair of heeled shoes. Now, don't get too excited, they are kitten heels. But, I'm hoping I can get used to it and make my way to the big girl shoes everyone else wears. :)

I also caved in and ate at McDonalds! I know, I know, gross! I can't tell you how often I would drive by Mickey D's back home and not think anything of it. I very rarely ate there. But, here I enjoyed every bite! It's the same food, I mean the same frozen beef patty heated up here was probably made at the same factory as the ones in Nashville, but it is a little bit like home. So, I swallowed my pride, and a heated frozen patty and gave in to the Americana of it all.

Then I took a taxi to Feira de Paraguay, I'm having girls night here this week, so I went out to get a DVD for us to watch, and while I was there I also got a new bag and flash light as well as a pair of sunglasses for my trip to the Amazon next week. I'll blog about that next...

But after a successful trip out to no man's land I hopped back on the metro and arrived safely in Asa Sul, where I have been laying around like a lump on the log ever since. And, now to let the laziness reach its climax, I'm gonna go watch a movie. See, even though Im far away, it doesnt mean my life is always full of adventure! :)

Tchau!

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahaha glad you are still lovin' movies sissy!! great post xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.