To my friends in America, they are intrigued by all I experience and want to live somewhat vicariously through me. Both the United States and Brazil are great countries filled with diversity, culture, and wonderful people. While I am in Brazil, I see the things I miss about the US and while I was in the US I thoought about the things I missed about Brazil. It is akin to the grass is always greener mentality.
While I was in Brazil last semester there were things I longed for that I simply could not obtain here. I missed the language, the food, a car, Target. Ya know, I forgot about all the things that I didn't miss: American politics, ignorance about others, commercialism, and the need to be better than everyone else. And just to be fair there were things about Brazil that I did and did not miss. However, I was quickly sucked back into my American ways and watching me pack my suitcases full of things I
But all of this being said it begs the quesiton, which is more important, quality of life or quantity in life? I was asked if the quality of my life is better here and for me, honestly, it is. Are there things here that drive me bonkers, uh yeah. But, at the end of the day, I miss all of my American conveniences, its true, and there are days where I would do just about anything for a Reese's peanut butter cup(which I brought back by the way) but my life here is simple. Simple doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. And right now, I am enjoying my life.
So, as an ode to the good ole U-S-of A. Here are the things I will miss about the United States.
1. The fact that when I say y'all, people don't laugh.
2. Gentlemen who open the doors for ladies.
3. History (I live in a new town, I miss historic homes, Antebellum mansions, and modern shops in old buildings)
4. The feeling of being able to tackle any situation cause I can understand what they are saying.
5. People who stop their car to let you cross the street when you are walking.
6. Person of the Week story on NBC nightly news.
7. The changing of seasons(going from dry to rain doesn't cut it for me).
8. HGTV
9. Seeing my family and friends
10. Missing out on people lives, facebook is great but its not the same as being there.

I know how you feel. Every time when I talk where I came from someone asks "do you miss Brazil?" My answer is always the same: I do miss family and friends, but to be honest, I guess that's it. I know what I don't miss: living in a giant city with 11 million people, fear for my safety and the people close to me and, of course, the traffic (you know what time you leave job, however you're not quite sure when you'll be at home).
ReplyDelete