Every year, the middle school does a program called, "Classroom Without Walls." Basically, we hop on a plane on Monday morning and the three grades head to different regions of Brazil to learn about the countries biodiversity. I mean it is such an awesome opportunity, the 6th grade heads to Florinopolis, while the 7th goes to the Amazon, and 8th goes to the Pantanal. So, next Monday, the 3rd, Im going to be heading out to the Amazon. That is right people, Katie is going to the jungle. I know, you're jealous! :) Until about a week ago, I was so pumped, and then I realized certain aspects of this trip which have me kind of scared to be honest. haha!
Let's start, with the most obvious one, I am taking 40 7th graders into the Amazon rain forest! I mean nothing could go wrong, right? I think about that kid from Heritage Middle a couple of years ago who jumped off the boat in the middle of the Tennessee River. If a kid does that here, they will be facing Piranha's! I mean hey, no biggie!
Luckily for most of the trip we are staying at an awesome hotel and they have planned events for the kids like meeting the indigenous people of the region who show them how their ancestors worked the land. We will also be seeing amazing wildlife and plants. The hotel looks beautiful and if you want to see it here is the website.
However, I did say for most of the trip, right? Yes, one night, I, Katie Osteen, will be sleeping amongst wild monkeys in a monkeypreserve. I can hear your laughter through the net. It gets better, I'll be sleeping in a hammock with a covered shelter (for rain only) and covered with a mosquito net, ya know, so I don't get malaria or dungae fever(luckily I already got the yellow fever vaccine).
And if you think this is a very "un-Katie-like" trip it gets even better, because even though it will also be 95 degrees Farenheit and 95% humidity, I have to wear pants and long sleeves to protect myself from bugs and spiders(some of which are poisonous)! AWESOME!
I'm not sure if I am going to make it through this trip, my Mom keeps laughing at me every time we discuss it and let's get real my idea of "roughing it" is staying at the Holiday Inn. YIkes! I know that the kids will have a blast and learn amazing new things, Im just not sure Im going to survive!


Well, you wanted to "see the world" so here is an opportunity!! But please remember when Dad and I come to visit next fall, this doesn't need to be on our agenda!
ReplyDeleteSo cool though, Katie!!!! Take tons of pics! I am totally jealous!
ReplyDelete