Friday, August 19, 2011
I swear my Momma did raise me right!
I know a lot about myself. I really am not one of those people who pretends they know who they are, and really doesn't. So, when I moved down here to the good ole BSB, I was shocked.
You see, I'm southern, my Momma is southern, and her Momma is southern. Southerners have certain, um, reputations: we talk with a drawl, we always say "bless their heart" after saying something bad about someone and yáll instead of you all, and usually we have good manners. We also have certain reputations that are, how shall we say, less than desirable? However, I know I was raised right. My Momma still hassles me about thank you notes, even after I've written them, I say yes ma'am, no sir, and I try to mind my p's and q's. Generally speakin' I have good manners...or so I thought.
Once I arrived in Brasila, I started noticing that I don't eat the same as everyone else. The newbies, the Brazilians, the Americans here, they all eat with a fork and knife(one in each
hand).When I say everything, I mean everything. Salads, Meats, Pizzas etc, you get the picture. Now, I'm also not stupid so, I just played along like I had been eating this way my whole life too. I'm sure the first few days I was probably a disaster. But, as they days inched on I've started to master the fine art of fork and knife eating. So, I'm kind of wondering what the statistic is on this one. So, if you don't eat with a knife in your hand raise your hand so I know Im not alone...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I think that is a very European way of eating and I've always thought it looked very sophisticated! However, I still have a hard time keeping my hand in my lap when I eat. Keep it up and when you come home at Christmas, maybe your new sense of style will rub off on your old mom.
ReplyDeleteKatie, I am currently eating my sandwich and fries with my hand! I am with you - who knew?!?
ReplyDeleteIt's still curious for me seeing people eating pizza with no forks or knives or drinking beer without using glasses. But once you get used to that you don't feel awkward anymore!
ReplyDelete