Monday, July 11, 2011

Everybody has baggage.

And, I'm drowning in it. As I try to pack up all the things I could possibly need for the next few months, I keep hitting baggage walls. When I first started packing my stuff, I was confident that 6 bags was more than enough for me and all of my things. Man oh Man was I wrong. I am up to a total of 8 pieces of luggage, to be specific, I have 3 Rubbermaid Actionpacker, 3 large Samsonite bags, 1 carry on size, and one duffel bag. Now, don't forget I also have Sophie, her Sherpa bag, and my backpack for my electronics, medicine, and a change of clothes in case my bags get lost. That's right, all that just for little ole me.
My trusty actionpackers. :)

So, what is in these bags you may wonder. Uh, everything is my basic answer. Space bags have been my saving grace as first of all I have a lot of clothes...not kidding, A LOT! I also have pillows, towels, sheets, some basic decorations, foam mattress, my comforter, shoes, pictures, bathroom items, toiletries, make-up, kitchen items(utensils, water pitcher etc), hair dryers, curling irons, taco seasoning, ranch dressing packets, and peanut butter(they don't sell it there, if customs takes it, thats okay, but I thought I would try). 2.5 of the 8 bags are just items for school.

The problem with all of these bags is that Delta charges an arm and a leg for each one. I get two free bags, but after that they all accrue additional fees.
* Each bag after 2 is 75 buckaroos and can't weigh more than 70 lbs.
* If it is over 70 lbs I have to pay an additional fee of 100 smackers.
* If it doesn't make it under 62 total inches, tack on another 100.
So, if it is over weight, over the size, and bag number 5, I could end up paying $275 dollars for one bag!!!! I mean holy guacamole!

Last Wednesday my parents and I loaded up their SUV with my bags and we went to try to get them weighed. The first place that came to mind was the post office. Unfortunately, their scales didn't go up to 70 pounds. Next solution was my Dad's, "let's go to the Blue Belle Creamery", crazy, I know. We found out that they don't weigh their ice cream so that was a no go too. The worst part of Blue Belle, besides the looks the lady at the reception desk gave us, was that they didn't give us a free sample. :( So, after driving all over the eastern part of the county I live in, we went to the Goin' Postal store in front of my neighborhood mind you and voila we had somewhere to weigh them. Most of them were under the 70 pound mark. I felt relieved that everything seemed set, then I started thinking about the size of each item. The large bags measure 63 inches and the actionpackers measure 61.5.

This Wednesday the parentals and I are taking an actionpacker and my largest suitcase to the airport. The ticket counter said they would take a look and let me know. That way if it is going to be oversized/overweight I'm prepared, or I can do something about it.

I'm sure it will all be okay but I'd rather not wait till right before I check in to find out that a bag is going to cost me more money. Even though I am starting to get nervous about moving (it hit me today) I will feel better knowing what to expect. I'm really grateful that I also have parents who are so willing to help me too. I don't think I could have gotten this done without them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you made it and everything is going well. I just read your blog. You did pay a ton of money. That is crazy. Looks like I'll be right behind you. In the last 24 hours I have started to get really nervous so hearing that everything went great makes me a little relieved. I had heard that all of the outlets there are different. Hopefully, the outlet adapters aren't to expensive. But, they probably are, it's the Brazilian way. haha! Enjoy your first few days!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.