Sophie is cleared to head to Brazil, and her Momma is so relieved! Brazil has very specific rules in regards to pet importation. Basically, 10 days before your departure, your pets must be taken to the vet for a check-up and be approved for an international health certificate. The health certificate then has to be taken to the USDA office where it is approved and embossed with the seal approving the pet. Luckily, the USDA office was right here in Nashville, so we didn't have to go far. Another piece of good luck was that Brazil has changed its requirements. Originally, you had to take the approved health certificate to the Consulate for approval, but they have changed it and now, this is not a requirement! :)
On Monday, Sophie and I headed to see the awesome Dr. Ladd at Hillsboro Animal Hospital. Mom even stopped in for the big visit. Nicole, Dr. Ladd's tech, and I had been discussing how to handle Sophie's big move! She walked me through the process step by step. She wouldn't be at work the day of her appointment, so she called me a few days in advance to discuss my information. She had never completed a Brazilian form before. Just to make sure she had done it correctly she even faxed a copy to the USDA office to make sure it was all filled out correctly. I really appreciated her sweetness and attention to detail.
At the appointment, Dr. Ladd, checked out Sophie and made sure she was in tip top shape. She also got some treats and lovin' from the staff there. Dr. Ladd gave us some helpful tips to help Sophie on the flight and once we arrive. He recommended she take a small amount of Benadryl to help her sleep. He said when we arrive, I should be very careful about keeping her calm to adjust to her new home. He suggested making sure one room is set up and has no boxes or moving materials around. That way she has knows that she is home. And of course, he said while we are there, if we have any problems to give him a call. After all of her forms were all filled out we said our good-byes and headed to the USDA office.
Sophie and Dr. L
If you live in or near Nashville, and are looking for a great doctor for your pet aka child, Dr. Ladd is really the best in town. My whole family (even grandparents) take our pets there. You won't find a better vet!!!
Sophie is also rockin' her new collar she got for her big move. I found it on Etsy and absolutely love the bright colors. She looks quite cute, if I do say so myself!!!
I really hope Soph will enjoy Brazil and her new house. I know that I will love having her with me!

She is very calm, even with all that people around her last Saturday. And believe me, even if it was easier than you expected, there's always some paperwork. I remember I had to go to the airport twice last year because there was something wrong with Lucky's papers. Anyway, after we landed in Houston no one asked for his "documents"...
ReplyDelete