I've been in Brasilia for several days and though you all would like an update of what life is like for a Gringa (non-Brazilian girl).
I think Brasilia is really a wonderful town and to be honest, has exceeded my expectations! There are of course a lot of things I don't understand or know about but I feel like each day I learn something new. And, on somedays I learn things that I wish I didn't. haha!
Some things I've learned about Brazil and Brazilians so far are:
1. They are incredibly friendly. Even though I speak very little Portuguese and my door-men speak NO English. They always smile and try to help me. Sometimes we end up playing cherades as a way to communicate. It is nothing short of comical. But they try every time and always bend over backwards for me.
2. The weather here is beautiful. Sorry all of you Tennesseans, but it is 75 during the day, low 60's to high 50's in the evening. There are never clouds in the sky. According to people here, it is like this almost year round.
3. Everything is expensive. It just is and you just have to roll with it. The other day I paid $R120 for a baby gate for Sophie. That is about $85 American dollars. I will say the produce is beautiful and it is very reasonably priced. I've taken on the philosophy of "it is, what it is." You can either complain about the price or just be sticker shocked and move on. I chose the latter.
Some things that American's would think are unique:
* There is a lot of cheek kissin' going on down here.
* Hot water in the shower is kind of hard to get for long periods of time. There is not a hot water heater that stores water like in the US. The water heater is electric, in the shower, and is part of your shower head. Touch it in the shower and you will regret it. :)
* Never make the okay symbol with your hands to someone who is Brazilian. It is like saying F*@& you.
* Most cars are TINY, and EXPENSIVE. A new Honda Fit, cost roughly 55,000.
* Jaywalking here is the only way to cross the street.
I'll try to put up a few more blogs before Wednesday. It has been so crazy I just havent had the chance. :)

you forgot the toilet paper thing!
ReplyDelete@ Neeley I wanted to post the toilet paper thing, but thought it was TMI. haha!
ReplyDelete@ Meredith I completely agree about our area. Have you tried to everythings a Real "type" store in the 203/204 area? They had hangers and several other things for a really reasonable price(other things not so much). Just don't believe that everything is a Real! haha! Also, I ate at the Italian restaurant in the 205 commissary (sp) the other day and the Organic restaurant. They were both really good. The organic restaurant is by the kilo.
I forgot to tell you that another interesting thing in BrasÃlia is all the different Brazilian accents since it's a city with people from all over the country. In some months you be able to guess where the taxi driver, the door-men or the grocery checkout lady are from. I don't know exactly how it is in BrasÃlia, but the amount of cheek kisses also vary depending on where you are in Brazil. I'd say prices will vary a lot on the next months, because today (Tuesday) the exchange rate was US$ 1 = R$ 1.54. My last tip (about the TP): a good brand is Neve ("snow"). Take care!
ReplyDeleteMarcelo, you are so right. There is teacher here who worked at Graded for the last 10 years. He said he was having a really hard time understanding people. I think it is making it harder to learn Portuegese because everyone says words just a little bit different from the other. Oh, and I actually had purchased Neve! haha!
ReplyDelete